Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Reflection on Articles

As I was reading over the article "Being Comfortable Being A Beginner", I couldn't help but reflect on my own outlook on being a beginner. I tend to stray away from things which challenge me to start a new learning process, mostly out of fear of failure. One major area in my life which I have a fear of starting over is in relation to jobs. I worry that I will not be able to adjust to the new circumstances, and regret my decision to make the transfer. Although in most aspects of life I tend to stick with the well-known, there are definitely some circumstances where I feel as if the jump is worth the risk, such as running. Running is something that is new in my life, and I was very nervous to take up the hobby because of a fear of defeat. Although there was a fear, there was also the thought of "this could be so rewarding". Perhaps this is how I feel about technology integration; I see the benefits that technology can give, but maybe in the back of my mind I am afraid to be a beginner.

After reading "Being Comfortable Being A Beginner", I then read the article "First Steps Toward Becoming A 21st Century Educator". I think that this was the perfect article to back up the first one because the author provided great insight about the tools that are used within 21st century teaching. She described the benefits of the technological tools and how they are helpful towards teaching, which encouraged me to think about taking the leap into fully supporting technology integration. Another thing that I supported within the article was how the author was discussing the benefits that technology gives to a teacher, but did not focus on the students. Although I think that technology has the power to benefit both teacher and student, I do think that it can be more useful within the eyes of a teacher.

Although I do have a pretty good idea on what my opinions are, not only on educational topics but in relation to all things in the world, I am still young and have room for expansion. Since I am only 20, I have not had a lot of the life experiences which form the concrete stances in one's mind. Reading articles, such as these ones, allows me to gain insight from others around the world and mold my idea's into the opinions that I will carry with me.

Allie

2 comments:

  1. It is great to read your reflections and thoughts about being a beginner and having a fear of failure. It is that fear that holds us back. What is so nice about our class, is that I am here to make sure you do not fail. My job is to make sure you succeed and learn. I promise you can not fail. My other thought is the being comfortable being uncomfortable. Learning new things is uncomfortable. It is not an easy feeling because it is not something you completely understand the why's and how's and when's and what's. That will all come. Right now, it is about trying out some tools, learning and like you said, being open to integrating technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! I am really not one for change, I like things the way they are. Although I know the world is constantly changing and I have to go with the flow, sometimes it really gets the best of me. I am willing to learn to ideas and try different things, but as soon as I start to feel like something isn't going right or I am uncomfortable I want to back out. I am also still young and have a lot of time to get use to change and be ready to learn new ideas and ways of doing things. It can definitely be overwhelming at time but in order to keep up in the world, we have to fight off those fears and just go with it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete